Friday, December 26, 2008

It's Tradition!


As promised, here are the photos to go along with the post!

It seems that every year, Christmas gets busier and more hectic and I can never believe when the day has already come and gone! This is such a special season, so it makes me sad (and a little guilty) when I can't savor it due to the busy-ness. The routine of traditions, though, keeps things sane for me. We used to tease my dad about his love for "tradition," said in the tone of the father in Fiddler on the Roof. :-) As I have gotten older, I have become so appreciative of these traditions and the order, predicatability, and sentiment they hold.

Some of our family's Christmas traditions include:

1) Advent calendars and the Advent wreath, in anticipation of Christ's birth on Christmas. My parents made me a cute felt Advent calendar my very first Christmas, and I still use it at my house all these years later!


2) Hanging the "Clifton Family Ornaments." My dad came from a huge family (9 kids) that moved a lot, and he doesn't have many artifacts from his childhood. He does have 3 antique Christmas ornaments, and each of us hangs one on the tree.


3) Christmas Eve church, pimento cheese sandwiches and soup, and staying up entirely too late wrapping presents. We are a last-minute family!

4) Me (and Pearl, my cat) spending the night with my parents on Christmas Eve and Christmas night.

5) Christmas stockings! Even though I'm officially an adult, I still get a stocking, and I always fix my parents' stockings too. Hello, "stocking stuffers" are some of the most fun gifts! My mom made our stockings when I was a baby...



My grandparents' gift to each of us is always a "portrait" of Ben Franklin, rolled up and tucked inside a little stocking on the tree. :-) Gift-giving from them is all about the Benjamins, baby...


6) Christmas brunch. We have the same breakfast every year...nothing fancy, but it's always yummy. Cinnamon rolls, arranged into a tree or wreath shape (my mom's artistic touch), Pillsbury crescent rolls with "little smokies" inside, and fruit, all served on Christmas plates.



7) BBQ for dinner, and taking allllllll day to unwrap our presents. Yes, we are the family who takes turns opening gifts one at a time. :-)

8) Setting up the tripod (or this year, a step-ladder since I forgot to bring the tripod) and taking a family portrait in front of the tree...me, my parents, and my grandparents. Whenever possible, we also round up the cat(s) to be included...I'm pretty sure my dad has sustained some flesh-wounds over the years trying to hold a feline for the family picture. He's a good daddy!

This one is a few years ago, but I included it because of the squirming cat my dad is attempting to wrangle...
This year's family photo, Christmas 2008...we had a wonderful day!



I hope that everyone in blog-land had a wonderful Christmas and that you celebrated--or created--some traditions of your own! I'd love to hear about them...let me know what you and your family or friends do the same way, every year!

Merry Christmas,
Amy
(I'm still up, so it still counts as Christmas, right??)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Pictures of your family!! Glad you like the Ben Harper CD...How you have lived without some Ben i will never know!


Trent

OHANA PHOTOGRAPHERS said...

sadly we were almost too busy catching up to do what we usually do :( but still had a nice christmas. hope santa was good to you amy! have a safe and successful new year! bring on 09!!

Kate Benson said...

I so wish we had more traditions for the holidays... I always have good intentions but never quite follow through, I'm going to have to steal some of yours. THANK YOU SO MUCH by the way for all the thoughtful comments on my blog. Hope you have a Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

I decided there were just too many to “love” on you on your blog
I LOVE all the shots! Groovy music shots! You’re a rock star! (:
LOVE the water shots-esp the one of dad and son walking on rocks-
LOVE the faces collages
ADORE the pouty baby!
Etc, etc….
I’m going to keep “stalking” (;
Kim

Lyndsay Almeida said...

love this post AND the traditions!

Sposa Bella Photography said...

Hi Amy! Love the traditions post. You are such a sweet person!!! Thanks for staying on us to keep up with our blog. We'll try to live up to your high standards!! :-) Take Care.
-Craig

Anonymous said...

Dear Amy:

I just finished reading your Blog about the Christmas Traditions. It was so special, and of course I cried buckets when I read it. You are so gifted with words, images, and care for others. I have a little saying at the computer that reads: "The greatest Christmas gift we can give our children is a pleasant memory." I feel Mom and I have succeded, and we are so greatfull for a wonderful daughter that you are!

Love always, Dad

Anonymous said...

Dear Amy,
I just finished looking at your blog & even glanced back at the older entries. It is wonderful!!! The photography has an artistic look as well as capturing the warmth and fun of each moment. And you have always been a wonderful writer. Your captions express your thoughts and feelings so well.

Do you think I could have a copy of everything so I can look at it with pride, and often, as the years pass and as you become famous? :-) Your loving comments and thoughts about our family make me realize what a special relationship we have. Thanks for all of your love and presence throughout all of life's ups and downs.

I love you and am so proud of you,
Mom